Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Week of Dollar Store Crafts - Matchboxes

It's day 2 of my week of dollar store projects and today I am making over matchboxes. These cute little boxes would be great for storing bits of ephemera and supplies or add a little note or gift and give to someone special. So many possibilities with this one!
I started this project with a package of matchboxes - I think this pack had 10 which makes this a really thrifty project!1. Paint the drawer of the matchbox. I tried covering it with paper and it was a little more complicated than I wanted it to be so I stuck with paint on this one.
2. Measure the box and cut a strip of paper - make sure the width is good but don't worry about the length - I just snipped that with scissors when I was done wrapping.
3. Start wrapping the box with the paper in the back of the box - I started halfway in the back
4. Finish wrapping the box - I put glue all the way around the box. I finished in the back by overlapping the paper and cutting off the excess.
5. Cut a strip of paper and wrap it around the middle of the box.
6. Punch a scallop circle and layer it on top. Attach a butterfly. I also inked the whole thing with rusty hinge distress ink and added a Tim Holtz hitch fastener to the drawer to act as a handle.Be sure to check back every day this week for more projects featuring dollar store finds. If you aren't already I would love for you to become a follower of my blog or facebook page! (see link on right side of my blog!) I will be doing a giveaway when I reach 500 google followers (I'm so close!). And be sure to check out my etsy shop.

Photobucket

This post is linked here:

Paper Issues Blog Designhandmade projects

36 comments:

MichelleB said...

Really cute idea! Love it!

Good Ideas and Tips said...

Such a cute Idea....Thanks for sharing it! I love the little handles on the box!

Tori said...

Super cute! How fun!

Stephanie Eaken said...

What an adorable idea!! I may have to try this out! TFS!

Deborah said...

I adore the paper you are using, so cute!

Bee happy x

Tere Azua said...

Very cute idea Melissa!!!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

Deep sigh. These are so cool!

Danielle said...

very cute project!

jenclair said...

Oh, cute. Love the escaping butterflys.

ScrappnBee said...

These are so stinking cute!!! Love it! Thanks for the tutorial to boot! Awesome!

Becky W said...

I love this! What a great idea - the whole dollar store thing! Can't wait to see more!

Anonymous said...

I have a confession....I am addicted to The Dollar Tree. I love these fun ideas! Can't wait until tommorrow!

~The Bargain Babe from *Zucchini Summer Blog* said...

Saw you on tip junkie. These are SO cute.

I love the dollar store and I love crafting so this is right up my alley. :)

Staci said...

I love these! TFS!

aseknc said...

How darling!
...super-simple but big impact...my favorite kind of project!

Thanks for sharing the how-to!

♥Anita
http://aseknc.blogspot.com/
Let no one ever come to you without leaving better and happier. Be the living expression of
God's kindness: kindness in your face, kindness in your eyes, kindness in your smile.
--Mother Teresa

Jeannie Wermuth said...

wow! I love small things, always have, these are sooo cute thanks for sharing

Sandy Ang said...

What a lovely transformation for humble matchboxes !

Margie Higuchi said...

Wonderful idea and great tutorial - thank you!!

Michelle Hernandez said...

This project is AMAZING. Please look for a feature wednesday or thursday because we are posting it on Paper Issues. It's wonderfully easy to make, GORGEOUS, creative AND a great gift idea. LOVE IT! Thanks for linking it to Paper Issues!

Audrey said...

These are amazing!!!! True creativity!! I'm a new follower!! I love stumbling upon awesome blogs!!

Lisa M Griffin said...

love, love, love!

Rosana Garcia Hess said...

love it!!! I´ll feature on my blog...hope you don´t mind.
Hugs from Brazil

Unknown said...

These are so pretty!

Lauren @ Love, Water and Wine said...

These look so elegant! They would be a perfect gift! I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link party!

curlyqmosaics said...

I just found you via Paper Issues! I am in love! TFS!

Unknown said...

totally cute project, yet so simple! What did you do with all those matches, though??

mojodawn said...

So great! I need something to put all those lil butterflies in too! Glad you were posted on Paper Issues - that's how I became a follower! :)

Leah's Crafty Life said...

this is so lovely! I always wondered where the matchboxes were being bought lately, I'm seeing them pop up a lot recently. Love yours. gorgeous work!

Kathy said...

Wow you are a genius!!!!!! Love your idea and execution!! Just awesome!

Gretchen said...

these are soooo sweet!

Angel said...

LOVE these! How do those Tim Holtz hitch fasteners work?

Jenny said...

I love these! I featured you on my craft blog! Love it!!!
http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/2011/04/make-over-match-box.html

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Super cute. I finally got around to making something similar this weekend. I added a link to your blog.

http://dandelionsanddustbunnies.blogspot.com/2011/05/match-box.html

alishka-the diy mommy!!! said...

I love these matchboxes... they are such fun!!! And they make a great gift! Thanks so much for it... I love DIYs and i cant wait to try these out :) have a look at my blog when you get some time!

http://chroniclesofastayathome.blogspot.com/

lotsa sunshine!

Sayantani Das said...

YOU can have a look at

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150123037259899&set=a.10150115736074899.327689.642594898&type=3&theater

(Plus the next two photos) for matchstick art ideas :)

ClaraHamor said...

Lindo box.